Wednesday, June 20, 2007

Step 3: Fuel line repair

Yes, I am repairing fuel lines on a future electric car, but this has to be done because the sound recording (step 1) is not yet complete. I needed to repair the rear brakes (step 2) first because driving was unsafe, and now I need to replace some fuel lines because they were "impacted" by the brake work.

Problem: as I was wrenching and prying around with the right-rear brake-line clip, I broke a fuel line. Gasoline is dripping onto the floor from somewhere between the fuel pump and the fuel filter.

This was really not fun. I placed an open gas can underneath the drip and left my garage door partly open to vent overnight. I needed to drain the gas tank before I could replace the fuel lines.

Tools applied: 1 gas mask, 2.5 gallon gas can, something to plug the fuel-supply line (e.g., a 21/64" drill bit) after you've cut the hose, lots of disposable gloves, and another car ready to accept more than 10 gallons of gasoline.

No comments: